How to tame a cat: taming a little kitten and how to tame a wild cat?
Is it possible at all tame a wild cat? How to do it? You can find answers to these and other questions about cat dressing in this article.How to tame a cat?
I often come across the question:
Doctor, how to tame a cat?
It applies to both small cats brought to a new home from a cattery, adult cats and wild cats.
In my office, there are more and more people who want to take a cat from the street.
- What does it mean to tame a cat?
- Why some cats are easier to tame than others?
- How an untamed cat behaves?
- Is it possible to "tame " a cat??
- Taming the cat
- How to tame a little kitten?
- How to tame an adult cat?
- How to tame a wild cat?
- How to get your cat used to a new home?
- The next stage is the daily visit of the cat
- Managed to? What's next?
What does it mean to tame a cat?
Antoine de Saint-Exupery, in "The Little Prince " wrote that to tame means to create bonds.
This is what appeasing our four-legged friend is about - creating a mutually acceptable relationship between humans and animals that will benefit both the kitten and us.
However, you must remember that by establishing a relationship with your mentee, you become responsible for him.
So you cannot give a savage taken from the garbage can back to "nature " after a year at home.
It can have very bad consequences for him.
From stress and depression, to fighting with wild friends, to the inability to find food, illness and death of your pet.
Why some cats are easier to tame than others?Why some cats are easier to tame than others?
When deciding on a kitten, each responsible owner must be aware that in addition to a fluffy friend, you also adopt his personality and experiences.
Cats from good breeding are in this case easier to tame - usually there is no problem getting them used to people.
They are taught from an early age that a man is something good - he hugs, gives him food to drink, plays, is like a second mother.
The problem arises when we decide to adopt a cat from a shelter.
Such kittens often do not know what a human is - for them it is only the evil character who took them from home (it does not matter that it was a backyard dumpster), or even worse, the one who beat and kicked me and my friends is this one. who ran my mum over in a car, after all, the one who took me in for a few weeks and then threw me out in the snow while he was skiing…
In the case of such kittens, do not count on them to love you at first sight.
Don't get me wrong, dear Reader - shelter kittens can also love people from the very beginning.
I myself have a purr from the shelter, which turned out to be the best cat in the world.However, deciding to adopt him, I thought through all the pros and cons. I knew that I had a little more work to do with him than with an already tame cat.
In addition to the cat's experiences, the following factors also influence the taming of the cat:
- origin and genetics - untamed mothers = untamed kittens,
- age - the older cats, the more difficult it is to tame them, in fact, social relations in the cat's psyche are regulated at the age of 2 - 4 months,
- personality of a kitten - often in one litter, one toddler loves people and the other one cannot be touched.
How an untamed cat behaves?How a wild cat behaves?
- hides under the bed, behind the wardrobe,
- he doesn't want to eat or drink,
- it raises the tail, the back,
- often unsocialized cats will attack humans with claws and teeth, or destroy furniture,
- he is afraid of any sudden movement - the shuffling of the chair, the slamming of the door,
- There are also frequent attempts to escape - e.g. through the tilted windows.
Is it possible to "tame " a cat??Is it possible to tame a cat?
It is said that cats have their own character and we will never really be able to tame them.
Is it true?
It is difficult for me to answer this question unequivocally.
All I can say about this is that every animal has a wild instinct within it.
So if your cat suddenly starts attacking, is angry or scared, leave him alone.
At the moment of arousal, cats, without even wanting to harm, follow their nature - so they can severely bite or scratch their owner.
A perfect example is a visit to a veterinary office.
Taming the catWhere to start taming a cat?
When you have decided on a kitten and it has crossed the thresholds of your, or rather your home, give him some time to get used to the new situation.
As a rule, cats do not like change.
So every move, even the one from the shelter, is a great stress for them.
Do not try to force your kitten into friendship.
If the cat clearly does not want to be petted, do not hug it and do not force it to stroke it. Limit contact with the cat to food and drink.
This way Mruczek will associate that you are the "good one" in his surroundings. So contact with you can give him some benefit.
If the cat has no appetite, offer him a treat (e.g. dried meat) or more intensely smelling food.
If the cat's appetite is kept, it slowly becomes interested in its new home, leaves its hiding place, smells the furniture or is slowly approaching you, it is a sign that it is slowly getting used to the new situation.
This is when the process should begin taming.
How to tame a little kitten?How to tame a kitten?
ABOUTsabotage of a little kitten it is much simpler than its adult cousin.
How and when to tame a small cat at home? Usually, you can start this process a day or two after you bring it from a shelter or kennel.
Kittens aged 2-4 months are the most trustful.
This is the time when they develop social bonds.
The rules that you should follow when taming a kitten are as follows:
- If your little purr is afraid of people, slowly gain his trust. Time, peace and patience are the most important factors in the adaptation process. You can try to play with him, give him food from your hand. As a rule, small kittens are more inquisitive than their older counterparts.
- Do not force him to contact - if the kitten runs away, do not chase him, do not force him to hug him.
- Do not make sudden movements of the cat, do not shout at him. Noise is not indicated when taming.
- If your kitten can be touched or is starting to fawn, it is a sign that he is starting to accept you. Reward him for good behavior to further deepen his confidence.
- When you have any questions, or if your kitten is still afraid of people despite your attempts, the only solution may be to contact an experienced behaviorist.
How to tame an adult cat?How to tame an adult cat?
The general rules (time, peace, patience) are the same for both young and adult cats.
With older cats, even more time, even more calmness and even more patience are required. Follow these rules:
- First, leave the cat alone. Don't try to force it out of its hiding place. Give him time to get used to the new territory.
- Provide him with water and food. In case of high stress, the kitten will probably come out of its safe place at night, when everyone is asleep and no one is threatening him. Therefore, leave food and water overnight.
- Never yell at a new pet - even if it scratches the couch or disposes of itself outside the litter box. Also try to give him peace and quiet.
- When your kitten settles in a bit in their new home, slowly approach them. First, try to bribe him with a treat. Keep a safe distance in the beginning. When you notice that the kitten is slowly coming out of hiding to eat away the flavor, gradually close the distance. Eventually, the kitten will be able to take the treat from our hand. When this happens slowly you can start touching the cat. Remember that the kitten has to decide about the contact, not you!
- You can also use "boosters " in the character pheromones, catnip or valerian (in small ! amounts) as well as other herbal sedatives such as for example KalmAid, if Zylkene.
- If the kitten starts to approach you, fawn, reward him for any such behavior - fun or a treat, they are perfect for this purpose.
- When the cat's socialization process is not going your way, contact an experienced behaviorist.
While kittens and adult cats that have dealt with humans are relatively easy to domesticate, tame wild purrs taken from the street requires a bit more experience.
How to tame a wild cat?How to tame a wild cat?
How to get your cat used to a new home?
In the first days, the kitten should have peace and quiet.
Therefore, prepare a safe haven for him to be alone.
Let it be a separate room or bathroom.
Remember to protect all holes, shelves and sharp objects.
The best solution would be an empty room where you will leave the hiding places for the cat - cardboard boxes, a transporter as well as water, food and a cat litter box.
Put natural cat litter or sand into the litter box - the cat will associate it with the toilet more quickly.
In the room, dim the light - in the twilight, the cat will calm down faster.
Stay away from it for several hours.
In order for the cat to get used to your smell, you can leave old clothes or blankets soaked in human smell in the room.
The next stage is the daily visit of the cat
Always do it at the same time.
Replace litter, food and drink during visits.
Never look into the cat's eyes then.
Also wear long sleeves and legs - this will protect you from possible injuries caused by aggressive behavior.
When you notice that your cat is less and less afraid of your company during taming, sit in a room for a few minutes and talk gently to it.
Only when the kitten approaches you by itself, try to establish physical contact with him.
Don't be surprised when your first stroking or touch ends with a hiss and run - you need to be patient.
Observe the cat's body language - if it raises its back or its tail looks like a fluffy dustbrush - slowly back out of the room. These are signs of anxiety in a cat.
Slowly start playing with your cat with toys, give him some flavors, get used to your hand - let the cat sniff it, but do not move it.
If the cat accepts these activities, you can slowly try to pet the kitten.
Remember to show him your hand first, the kitten surprised by the touch may react quite violently.
If an adopted cat needs a visit to the vet (wounds after fights, pregnancy or diseases), use a transporter or trap cages - they are equipped with every shelter.Let your doctor know that your cat is not used to the presence of humans.
Remember that the process of taming a wild cat it is long and requires patience. It also does not always bring the desired result.
If you do not know how to tame a savage, it is better to ask an experienced behaviorist for help.
Managed to? What's next?Managed to? How to strengthen this bond?
Remember that a cat learns throughout its life.
Therefore, try to have as much contact with your tame cat as possible.
Play with it for at least 30 minutes a day. Talk to him, reward him with treats (in reasonable amounts). Then he will repay you with unlimited trust and love.
The process of cat domestication, cat adaptation and socialization is not simple.
However, with the right level of patience (mainly from the owner) and with time, it is possible to tame a cat.
Remember, however, that by taming your cat, you take responsibility for it for life.
You have questions for my article? Or maybe you've tamed your kitten and want to share your experiences? Let me know in the comment below the article.
Sources used >>